Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Summer Of Double (and Triple) Exposures


This year more than any other year I made so many mistaken double, even triple exposures with all of my cameras.  To clarify, in the past, it has always been bound to happen with my roll film cameras; you take a picture, then forget to wind.  The plastic toys don't have much protection or warning to prevent a shutter button from being depressed if the film has not been advanced one frame after taking a photo.  Certainly, this could be a good thing, allowing for artistic license with intentional double exposures, or advancing as little or as much as one wants between frames in order to make the photos spaced well-apart vs. overlapping.  A mistaken double exposure, however, is upsetting mainly because it tends to ruin two potentially good photos, and I am baffled as to how many times I actually did it with Polaroid film this year (like the one above)!  Over and over.  I'm getting forgetful in my old age if I can't even remember to pull the photo out once I've snapped it.  gah!

4 comments:

jim bradshaw said...

I still like it. Isn't aging a blast?

sMacThoughts said...

OH gosh, Jim.... yeah, sure. I'm actually fine with most of it, but the bad memory is SO frustrating. I used to be like an elephant with my memory!

red-handed said...

I think these are sort of wonderful, in that it's the kind of thing that will happen less and less in this digital age.

sMacThoughts said...

Well, with this instagram thing.... is that it? Photos by cellphone? I may be wrong as I am cellphone-free and know very little of this stuff... but what I'm trying to get at is they will 'emulate' the analog stuff. Sad part is it will look much like it, nonetheless, the spirit is gone, and it can never be the same.